VoodooPad is my static blog tool. The static feature was released last fall. It is quite promising as an alternative to the more hacker oriented static blog platforms I read about while making my choice.
It does, however, have some rough edges that makes it less than perfect as a long term blog tool. In hope of seeing improvements I have sent Flying Meat, the company behind VoodooPad, a list of improvements that I think would make it quite a lot better as a blogging tool. This is my list:
- Separate VPWebExportPageTemplate documents for index page and archive post pages. It would make it possible to make them completely different with different features.
- Sort function for Pages Drawer:
- Sort by page type
- Sort alfabetically
- By modification date (most recent on top)
- Creation date (most recent on top) It is very hard to find the right pages even with only a few of them.
- Possibility to publish archive index pages by tag. This would make it possible to mimic a category function that most other blog tools have. All posts about iPhone could be viewed on one archive index page, all about Mac on another, and so on.
- Wiki fetaures in Static:
- Snippet feature: Text you write often should be easily available in a palette.
- Pages Drawer as a separate window that can be placed anywhere, even on another screens. If that can't be done I would like to get rid of the shadow from the main window on the drawer. It makes it harder to read.
- Font size option for Pages Drawer.
- Get rid of status bar on all windows. It doesn't seem to be in use.
- Alternating colors in all listings to make them easier to read.
The first three are the ones that would make the biggest difference.