Do you want to limit your kids computer use by applying time limits on the Mac? It is quite easy and you don't need to buy any extra programs. It's all built into Mac OS X.
Here's how you do it:
- Open Users & Groups in System Preferences.
- Make sure the padlock in the bottom left corner is open (click on it if it's not).
- Click + below the list of current users to create a new user profile.
- Choose Managed with Parental Controls in the New Account drop down menu and fill in the rest of the fields. Click the Create User button to save the user profile.
- Next make sure the Enable parental controls checkbox is ticked and click the Open parental controls button.
- This opens the Parental Controls settings. The part we are interested in is the Time Limits tab. Open it and set the time limits you want. As you can see you can have different time restrictions for weekdays and weekends. You can also prevent computer use during night time, both for school nights and weekends.
- Close the window when you are done.
That's all you have to do to take control of your children's computer habits with regards to time. It works in both OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion.